HOW TO FIND A GOOD OPTOMETRIST
Does your vision seem a bit cloudy these days? Are you having problems reading out names or are you stumbling over things? Apparently, it’s time to see an optometrist. Our eyes play such an important role in our lives and optometrists help us understand the link between the condition of our eyes, our brain health and general health. The sense of the sight of our eyes is very much complex and fascinating. Optometrists have the amazing talent to further explore this sense and help people feel their existence to be nothing less than a miracle.
Choosing an optometrist is just as important as selecting a general physician. Your eyes are not only a window to the world, but also they serve as a window to your general health. Because your eyes are an essential part of life, your choice of a good optometrist is not one that should be taken lightly.
First of all, let us know about the role of an optometrist.
They treat eye diseases, prescribe medication, and most importantly they do not perform surgery on the eyes. If you’ve never seen an optometrist before, you need to make sure you find a good one.
Table Of Contents
Friends and relatives
For finding a good optometrist, you can take help of your family doctor and friends too. Asking friends and relatives is not only cost-effective but also gives you a realistic review of the nearby optometrist.
Taking help of internet
There are several online platforms which may help you find a good one. Also one must Read online reviews about what past patients have to say about the optometrist. It will help you to get an insight that how he or she practices eye health care.
Finding one through health insurance
If you have health insurance then you can contact your insurance company and get a list of the optometrist in your area that is covered under your health plan. There will a large number of eye doctors to choose from so you will most probably need to narrow down your choices based on their experience.
Interaction with optometrist –
- A good optometrist will consult you with proper questions. In any event, he should ask you when you will be wearing your spectacles or lenses predominantly (at work, sports, during leisure time activities, etc. He will provide you detailed insights into the different lens and spectacles solutions.
- He or she will point out the importance of good spectacles quality, which is the most critical factor of a good pair of glasses. When discussing the frame, brand and fashion are not the factors to pay attention to. Many anatomic aspects are also very important, Flexible and lightweight frames that are more comfortable to wear and non-allergic materials are some of the issues to be considered when selecting an individual frame.
- A good eye doctor will offer you an aftercare package, which includes free checkups and periodic spectacle inspections.
- When you are picking up your glasses, He or she should once again check the visual impression of your lens and spectacles at various sight distances. The frame should also be checked for a comfortable fit. One must also check the proper facial fit of the frame in a mirror there. The new glasses should not be uncomfortable to your ears and nose.
- One should also know that does the optometrist practice offer evening and weekend hours of availability? Does the practice have openings within the week for your desired vision exam? Also, the experience of an optometrist also matters when you have some conditions which could affect your eye vision.
- If you use an optometrist with more experience with excellent procedures, you are most likely to get good results. One should not hesitate to ask how many patients with the similar condition of yours the optometrist has treated successfully with better results.
- If you require a complex procedure like Lasik surgery, ask for the number of such procedures that he has performed before and ask for the risks and complications too. One must choose an optometrist with whom you are much comfortable talking about your problems and who supplies your information needs.
- When you are meeting an eye doctor for the very first time, ask many questions and notice how he or she responds. Find the one that is interested in knowing about your condition and respecting your treatment decision and preferences.
- One can learn a lot from the patient survey as it shows the patients’ experience with the doctor, office environment and the friendliness of the staff.
Background of an optometrist-
Eyes are a fragile and most sensitive part of the human body, and you do not want to play with them. Although good optometrists have the required clinical training and license to give primary eye care, you should also take the time to verify the doctor’s credentials; you can take help of internet and other doctors too for verifying such things.
Once you’ve received a recommendations about them, next thing you should do is a bit of research on those eye doctors such as checking to see if they’ve ever been accused of any type of malpractice before, most importantly verifying their credentials, and checking to see what areas of eye care they have specialization in such as Lasik surgery, pediatrics, glaucoma, cataract etc. Since optometrist is more experienced in certain areas of eye care, you should make sure that the eye doctor you visit has the ability to briefly examine and take care of your eye health. For instance, if you’re looking for an eye doctor for your young child then make sure the doctor you choose has a lot of experience treating children and is comfortable with them.
If you feel comfortable with everything you observe while in their working environment and with everything you’ve heard about this particular eye doctor, then go ahead and schedule an eye exam. During the exam, you will be able to get an even better idea of whether this is the right eye doctor for you or not. Also make sure he or she takes their time to do a thorough exam of your eye, meaning it should last more than a couple of minutes.