What kind of Microphone is best for podcasts
Table Of Contents
Dynamic Vs Condensing Podcast Microphone
The two basic kinds of best computer microphones are based on dynamic and condenser types. The first type has an inbuilt magnetic assembly inside the microphone. You can call it a sort of electrical pulse generator which gets activated by sound. The vibration of voice coils generates specific frequency waves which get transmitted to the recording and broadcasting media.
The Condenser type works on a diaphragm and ceramic or metallic back plate. The vibration of diaphragm with relevance to back plate generates electrical pulses from sound. Distance between the two objects is responsible for the creation of crystal clear sound. The system will also have other supporting components and parts for increasing the efficiency of sound conversion into electrical pulses.
Dynamic microphone produces high quality of sound and has long lasting performance. It is resistant to echo, noise, other forms of external disturbances. Moreover it can differentiate between a speaker’s voice and the noise of a vehicle near the recording location. It can also work efficiently by taking extra load. Interference is very low.
Condenser type is prone to interference from noise and external disturbances. Hence, the manufacturers add extra components and parts to eliminate all these disturbing factors. On the plus side, condenser microphone produces softer and gentler sound. You can say the sound is almost ideal for indoor studio interviews, talks, singing and musical symphonies. Response from the microphone is accurate. Waves in varying frequencies can be captured and record with precision. To tell you in brief, Dynamic microphone is good enough for outdoor podcast while condenser microphone is good for indoor studio podcast.
USB VS XLR Podcast Microphone
USB podcast microphone
USB podcast microphone has direct connection to the USB port of your computer. Once you install it, you can configure it through a specific app provided by the OEM. Sophistication of software determines how efficiently and variedly you can record the sound.
- Live Editing: With USB microphone you can let the software do the live editing of voice and sound while recording. It is also possible to add mixing and other special effects with the software. There is no need for any external device apart from a few boosters which could be optional.
- Simple Methods: The USB microphone is simple to install and easy to use. You can also interface it with multiple software systems to improve the digital quality, surround sound effects, etc.
- Online Meetings: You can use the USB microphone for online conferences, meetings and talks by individuals and groups. The audio quality will be crystal clear with highest value of accuracy. The system can filter all types of noises and external disturbances.
- Phone Connection: You can also connect the USB podcast microphone to smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices. Just turn on the podcast app on the smart phone and enable connection. Similar to the PC, you can perform online editing, mixing, filtering, and other functions with ease. Practical experience shows you can also use it form interviewing more than one person or recording group songs with highest quality and precision.
XLR Podcast Microphone
XLR microphone works with the help of an interface. It is piece of hardware equipment which performs the actions of mixing, editing, high frequency sound handling, timing and toning customization, balancing of output, surround sound effects and so on.
- Sound Quality: The sound quality of XLR Podcast microphones is always higher due to the interfacing device. It can handle natural sounds without making any variations t frequency and wavelength. When you want to record your sweet voice for podcasting songs and musical albums, it is the kind of microphone you need to use.
- Bit conversion: Sound bit conversion from low intensity to high intensity without any change in tone and quality is the task of XLR Podcast microphones. They can transmit the analog waves into the interface which has lowest latency rates. That means your voice can flow without any breaks in between. Listeners using the low and medium end hardware in their computers and phones can hear your voice clearly without nay ambiguity.
- Professional Recording: XLR microphone gives you the professional level recording quality in combination with the interface device. It is highly recommended for recording multiple musical instruments in a concert. The interface can clearly distinguish the sound waves from every instrument and boost its strength independent of the other. For example, you can consider the recording of western classical music, which the mouth-organ and the cello play an important role. The sound from cello can be dominating, while the sound from mouth organ can be too mild to hear. The XLR Podcast microphones can balance the waves perfectly to let you record the concert to perfection.
- I/O Configuration: The Podcast microphones with the interfaces have the capacity to convert digital into analog signals and Vice Versa. They can use professional inbuilt tools to edit, mix, and enhance the quality of recording multiple times. You can also customize the type of recording according to specific requirements. For example, you can add mild background music when a person is speaking. You can also suppress the unwanted and disturbing noises by eliminating them from the interface.
XLR Condenser Microphone
XLR Condenser microphone is the type of device recommended by professionals. The device may use more power compared to the USB model. But it is always a batter choice when it comes to streaming music from live concerts. You may also opt for XLR dynamic Podcast microphones, if the recording is for music in the open air environment. They have higher load capacity. They can handle recording of music from louder instruments like the drums, electric guitar, etc.
If you happen to be a beginner in podcasting with only personal and indoor recording, we suggest you opt for USB condenser microphone for amateurs. It can help you save on costing and also give you satisfactory quality of recording. You can also use your creativity to edit the recordings with open source software after you are through.